…and I am writing you from it!
I arrived in Bangkok about three hours ago and jumped a cab to my hotel which is just one street removed from Khao San Road, one of the most popular backpacker streets in the world. I am in Thailand but the whole area around feels like backpacker country- it is a seething, simmering, boiling broth of young people from all over the world, mixing and dancing and sweating and loving Southeast Asia.
All down the street restaurants, bars, and dance clubs compete with each other to boom their bass in your face, from Eminem to Guns and Roses to JT. Cocktails are sold in bucket form, and a vodka red bull bucket will set you back a whole $4. Food vendors line the street, hawking phud thai, eggrolls, deep-fried insects, fresh pineapple juices, hot falafels, popsicles- all super cheap. The only thing less expensive than the food are the clothes- realizing I might like an extra sleeved shirt, I bought two sweet printed shirts for $6. MC Hammer pants are big here as well as gaudy bead-covered tank tops, and you can buy shiny gold bangle bracelets to go up your entire arm.
Tuk-tuks (3 wheeled car/truck things) cruise around like taxis, there are tons of motorcycles screaming everywhere and people just sit down in the road to eat their midnight snack. It is around 12:30AM here and I have no idea what time it is in the US though I do believe it is yesterday. Well, I am in tomorrow- and it ROCKS, yall.
I wish I could transport a big group of you here to experience this with me: life, carnival-style.
Swirling madness to be lapped up, bright colors to breath in, laughing strangers to meet eyes with and walk away, spare policemen chuckling at fat chicks, Burger King, the Ooze bar, wandering stray dogs, cats, elephants- this place is pure madness and you all would LOVE it!
I am only in Bangkok overnight; my train leaves at 7:30 in the morning to Sukhothai, the ancient capitol of the country. I return in about a week though and am already looking forward to it. I enjoy the crazy bustle of cities. and yes, the shopping. Good night my friends. Buy a plane ticket. Travel. This is your world, and you should really check it out, because it is beautiful and it is calling your name. There are six billion strangers waiting to be your friend. There are hot peppers that will make you cry, random yogurt drinks to cool you off, and a blond girl who skips along with a song in her heart.
MUCH LOVE SEATTLE!
df5k, alive and well on the other side of the planet
March 29, 2009 at 7:53 PM
Comments from Myspace:
1) …..So lucky Ms. Shilo!! Take tons and tons of pictures!!!
Be there, do that, and buy the Tshirt!!
Posted by MichaelB v3.1 on Friday, October 03, 2008
2) Hey I just got back from 3 weeks in France and guess what MC Hammer pants are huge there too. Looks like they are making a come back!!! We will see if it jumps the Atlantic and head towards the West Coast in the next couple of months. Have fun see you soon.
Posted by Omelette on Friday, October 03, 2008
3) ou know MC Hammer pants were big in France when I was living there in ’03- and they never made it across-
Maybe I have a new goal in life- bring back garbage bad pants!
Posted by Shilo on Saturday, October 04, 2008
4) so glad to hear your having fun and you arrived safe and all thats awesome omg i cant wait to show you what me and beetle painted last night but u were there in spiret…. call me or write when u have time and keep posting whats going on im enjoying hearing about life way far away from here
Posted by sKeTcH aka LYnZiE on Friday, October 03, 2008
5) can’t wait to see your pictures!
Posted by the LoveVirus™ on Monday, October 06, 2008
6) And you all laugh when I break out my hammer party pants… Shilo sounds like your having a fucken blast. SEATTLE misses you!
Posted by Thee Intoxicologist on Monday, October 06, 2008